[jdom-interest] W3 DOM support

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Tue Aug 1 10:03:34 PDT 2000

> > hi
> > i believe you can convert JDOM  org.jdom.Document to
> org.w3c.dom.Document
> > by using the DOMOutputter. dont know if that answer your
> question..just trynna help
> > ;)
> >
> > -z00t-
>
> Hmm, i don`t want do any conversions. I want use JDOM methods for
> operating on document tree, but later i want process it by XSLT. And
> there is problem, if JDOM will support DOM (level 1) then it will be
> easy. But now i must do conversions, it`s not effective. :(

This has been discussed heavily in the past and you can search the archives.
The short answer is that while there was possilbly some disagreement on
exactly how DOM should be supported eventually by JDOM, for the 1.0 api and
the foreseable future, it will support it ONLY by importing and exporting
DOM trees as implemented by separate parsers (Xerces by default).

JDOM is an api and DOM is an api and whether or not the DOMOutputter is the
only way to use DOM and JDOM together is possibly up for discussion, the
JDOM core classes will never attempt to support DOM methods.  It would be a
mess because the basic structure of DOM and JDOM is different.  I personally
feel there is a really good case for a separate DOMImpl class within JDOM
but Brett vehemently disagrees and while Jason *seemed* to agree, it is
nowhere on the radar.  Besides, performance issues aside, the current
implementation works and the core needs to work well first.