[jdom-interest] getChild() vs. getChildElements()

Joe Gangemi jgangemi at architag.com
Tue Aug 1 14:51:37 PDT 2000

I am new to JDOM and have been following this discussion. I am also
teaching myself JAVA (C is my background), but I am a long-time SGML and,
by extension, XML heavy.

I have no problem with getChild because I consider elements as children. An
earlier e-mail suggested this is confusing because PIs and Comments are
also children. Well, that's news to me. Since when is a PI or Comment a
child of an element. If that's in the standard, it must be in the small
print 'cause I missed it. Also, since PIs and Comments are not part of the
document's structure and cannot be declared in a DTD, they cannot be
considered "children."

The point is moot. getChildElement is redundant. The only "legitimate"
children of a parent element are other elements. Where is the confusion?

         Joe G.