[jdom-interest] Re: Interfaces? (was: W3 DOM support)

Joe Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Sat Aug 5 00:00:39 PDT 2000

I agree with Louis that "articulating" the JDOM object structure into
Interface, AbstractClass, and DefaultImplementaion could open more
doors, but I'm not convinced that those doors need opening right now.

I do disagree with Jason on one point: I don't believe that adding
interfaces means having to use factories.  Internally yes (and that may
be what is meant), but I think the user can avoid factories by sticking
to the default implementations.  For example, IElement would be the
interface and Element would be the default implementation.

And I'm not a big fan of subclassing.  I'd rather delegate.  To my mind,

subclassing is a fragile, often requiring intimate knowledge of the
source code and leaving oneself vulnerable to future revisions of the
base classes.

For my uses of JDOM, though, leaving out interfaces seems good enough
for now.  Extracting interfaces could be a 2.0 thing, no?
--
Joe Bowbeer