[jdom-interest] licensing

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Thu Aug 10 17:35:47 PDT 2000

OK, here's my latest attempt at a license.  I'm making it a pretty
please.  I think we basically have two options:  Either ask nicely, or
demand.  I'm thinking we ask nicely.  Unlike Apache, JDOM is intended
for use as part of larger projects, and do we really want all projects
to have to say thanks?  (Well, some of me does, but...)

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the disclaimer that follows
   these conditions in the documentation and/or other materials
   provided with the distribution.

3. The name "JDOM" must not be used to endorse or promote products
   derived from this software without prior written permission.  For
   written permission, please contact license at jdom.org.

4. Products derived from this software may not be called "JDOM", nor
   may "JDOM" appear in their name, without prior written permission
   from the JDOM Project Management (pm at jdom.org).

In addition, we request (but do not require) that you include in the
end-user documentation provided with the redistribution and/or in the
software itself an acknowledgement equivalent to the following:
    "This product includes software developed by the
     JDOM Project (http://www.jdom.org/)."
Alternatively, the acknowledgment may be graphical using the logos
available at http://www.jdom.org/images/logos.