[jdom-interest] Suppressing <?xml version="1.0"?>

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Mon Aug 21 23:35:20 PDT 2000

Joseph Bowbeer wrote:

> By the way, I noticed that the XML Declaration (processing
> instruction) is suppressed in SOAP messages.
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383492
>
> "All SOAP messages are encoded using XML. ... A SOAP message MUST NOT
> contain Processing Instructions. ... The Envelope is the top element
> of the XML document representing the message."

OK, so they use XML but not *real* XML.  Might this be, oh I dunno, a
Microsoft technology?  :-)

Anyway, JB (as usual) comes armed with interesting URLs.  :-)  I added a
setSuppressDeclaration(boolean) method to the TODO list for XMLOutputter
before beta5.  Any complaints, speak now or forever be "suppressed".
:-)

That's probably not funny, but it's been a long day.