[jdom-interest] JDOM support for XPath

bob bob at accurev.com
Mon Aug 28 11:59:36 PDT 2000

> You can request it, but you aren't going to get it. java.lang.String
> is a final class, and there's just no way we can make it support
> getParent(). :-( Paul Prescod noticed and pointed out this very
> problem (no way to get the parent) to me at Extreme two weeks ago.

Well, for the time being, I can handle it myself in the xpath
engine, but if JDOM ever natively supports a Text node for
text nodes, I'd be thrilled.

My request for getParent() on Comment and PI still open for

Another handy thing, would be getTreeText() on element, which
would recursively get the text (in order) for the subtree.
Effectively ripping out interveneing Elements.