[jdom-interest] inserting a dtd reference

John Thorhauer jthorhauer at phoenixcolor.com
Mon Aug 28 12:23:24 PDT 2000

I have a question about xerces/jdom.  I am trying to do something with
xerces and am encountering difficulty.  My question is how hard is it to
do the following in JDOM?

I have an xml document that has no DTD specified.  I know that several
fields in the document definitely exist.  These fields will help me
identify the document.  Once I can get these fields I then want to
validate the xml file against an external dtd.

So I would need to be able to:
1. get several xml elements with no validation. (probably pretty easy)
2. attatch an external DTD to this xml file with a string object or
something.  (this part does not seem so easy with xerces when there is
no previos DTD specified)
3. then validate the xml file with the specified DTD.

If this is possible and hopefully not to difficult in JDOM then it looks
like I am on board!  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Also I just
ordered Bretts book so if there are examples of this in there, please
let me know and I will take a look as soon as I get it.

Thanks again,
John
--
** John Thorhauer