[jdom-interest] reorganize the input class to remove W3C Dependency.

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Thu Dec 14 13:17:56 PST 2000

> I'm trying to use JDOM in an Applet using JDK 1.1.x.  As I see it, there are
> two dependencies, 1.1 collection classes and W3C DoM classes in jdom.input
> package.
> Can you break out the classes in the input package and have a sub class for
> those that wish to import a W3C Dom in to JDom (I use that feature in my
> servlet, and need that ability.)

You can use JDOM in an applet without downloading any DOM classes, just
so long as you don't use the DOMBuilder in the applet.  Java loads
classes dynamically and only as necessary.  The org.jdom core
intentionally has no outside dependencies.

(Here's yet another reason not to have JDOM implement the DOM
interfaces, as if we really needed another.)