[jdom-interest] NoSuch*Exceptions: the definitive example(s) - part 2

Patrick Dowler Patrick.Dowler at nrc.ca
Mon Jul 10 10:29:46 PDT 2000

In the main example message, I showed the typical usage:

     Element e =my.getChild("well").getChild("hidden").getChild("leaf");
     // do something with the "leaf"
catch (NoSuchChildException ncex)
     // which element was missing?

which is certainly concise. However, if we have/had XPath, wouldn't
you be doing this with something like:

    Path p = new Path();
    Element e = my.getChild(p);
catch (NoSuchPathException npex)
     Element e = npex.getLastExistingElement();
     // handle missing child of e

I don't know anything about XPath, but if it supports a realtive path in
the data structure, then it would be a way to do those multiple-child
lookups (which are paths).... ???

Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre