[jdom-interest] Stirring up Trouble

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jul 19 14:02:21 PDT 2000

At 9:42 AM -0700 7/19/00, Jason Hunter wrote:

>It does what the docs say it does.  Which for JDOM is trim the
>whitespace, because getMixedContent() has to follow suit and I'll be
>damned if getMixedContent() is going to return all the intermediary
>whitespace elements in its simplified form.

I really think JDOM is the wrong place to be making this judgement.
Your argument is really with what XML parsers should be doing.
However, that's a battle that needs to be fought on (and indeed may
have already been lost on) a  different battleground, the realm of
W3C specs. I was doing some work with XPointers today and noticed
that white space including pure white space nodes are significant in
XPointer as currently written. So that's just one more spec not
handling white space properly will prevent JDOM from implementing.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |