[jdom-interest] CDATA sections?

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Fri Jun 2 01:15:52 PDT 2000

Wesley Biggs wrote:

> More control to the user.  More predictable output.

But would you really want to add a whole CDATA class and make
getMixedContent() less intuitive and change the document structure
itself just so that the programmer can have control over whether text is
output using < or CDATA when both are semantically equivalent?  I
can't see how that would fly.

Wes, you proposed a method on Element.  That's better, but still seems
like the wrong place to put it.  It's an output thing.

> And last but not least, nothing starts a war like trying to
> determine the metrics for "sufficiently ugly". :-)

Let XMLOutputter have a protected method and write your own logic.  :-)
I'd say by default four or more special tags make it ugly.  We may need
a PrettyXMLOutputter soon that does this and smart xnlns handling, two
things which machines don't care at all about.