[jdom-interest] CDATA sections?

Kevin Regan kevinr at valicert.com
Fri Jun 2 11:08:19 PDT 2000

> > System.out.println( "<FOO><![CDATA[<BAR>This is CDATA</BAR>]]></FOO>"
> );
> >
> > With JDOM, it makes alot of sense to build a JDOM tree to
> > create the output document.  The above would not be possible
> > with the current implementation.
> No. It would be easier.
> Element myElement = new Element("FOO");
> myElement.setConent("<BAR>This is CDATA</BAR>");
> Why make them create a CDATA? Our Outputter takes care of this for you.
> -Brett

I'm not sure if you are arguing seriously with me here. :-)
My argument is for someone that wants to create a CDATA section.
Your example does not do that.

Take the following (better) example:

-- Attempting to include the text "<Markup>" in
a FOO element.

This can be output to "equivalent" ways:

The user really should have a choice as to which format
he wants to use.  Example: For a large HTML segment, it will be
much more efficient, and much more aesthetically pleasing
to use a CDATA section, rather than escaping the entire