[jdom-interest] DOMOutputter and other thoughts

Kevin Regan kevinr at valicert.com
Mon Jun 12 12:17:28 PDT 2000

Hmm, I didn't say it would be difficult, I just had some
questions about the interface... :-)

Basically, we just need to reverse the code in the DOMBuilder.
However, I'm still not sure why the DOMOutputter does not
need a DOMImplementation to build the DOM tree.  Furthermore,
I don't see how the adaptor classes can implement this.
Looking at DOM Level 2, there does not seem to be
a way to modify the DocumentType after the Document
is created (this is specifically documented as such):

public DocumentType Document.getDoctype()

     The Document Type Declaration (see DocumentType ) associated with
this document. For
     HTML documents as well as XML documents without a document type
declaration this returns
     null . The DOM Level 2 does not support editing the Document Type
Declaration, therefore
     docType cannot be altered in any way, including through the use of
methods, such as
     insertNode or removeNode , inherited from Node .

Therefore, in order to copy the JDOM to the DOM,
you need to first create the DocumentType with a call
to DOMImplementation.createDocumentType() and
and then use the DOMImplementation.createDocument call to
actually create the document. In addition, the DOMOutputter class only
takes a DOM Document. There is no way to change this reference to
something else and no way to set any DocumentType information.

I think the best way to go about this is to have DOMOutputter
take a DOMImplementation.  Then, the user can create a DOM
tree with any implementation that he likes.

By the way, I was not sure what you meant by the distinction
between a DOM tree and DOM document.  Can you clarify what
you meant?

--Kevin