[jdom-interest] JDOMBean

Alex Chaffee guru at edamame.stinky.com
Wed Jun 21 07:13:06 PDT 2000

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:10:46PM -0700, Jason Hunter wrote:
> Looks slick, Alex.  I'll be happy to put it in the contrib directory.
> Could you please complete the Javadoc comments (including adding the
> usage to the class Javadoc entry), put it under our standard license,
> and send it to me?

OK. I'll do that soon.

Any opinions on whether I should rename it to, say, "JDOMCacheBean" or
"JDOMFileBean"?

> The package org.jdom.contrib.jsp sounds like a good
> place to put it.  (I'll move the other contribs under org.jdom.contrib
> as well.)

It's up to you, but since it's not JSP-specific -- you can use it in
servlets, applications, or from other beans in your favorite bean IDE
-- I'd prefer it just go in org.jdom.contrib.  It's not what you'd
call cluttered yet, and organizationally, I prefer a big heap of
classes that have one thing in common (contrib = they were
contributed), instead of a pre-hoc, arbitrary set of sub-package names
that I'd have to root around in to find the file I want.

For instance, the current division between "examples" and "output"
makes absolutely no sense if I'm looking for JTree code, especially
because the arbitrary division of "examples" from "output" separates
the two source files having to do with JTree!

If someone contributes a set of classes that compose a discrete
project, then they can get a subpackage (so I'd consider making
org.jdom.contrib.jtree to house the "JTree" project containing
JTreeOutputter.java and JtreeOutputterDemo.java).

And if and when a contributed project becomes core, it could then be
cleanly re-integrated into the core package hierarchy.

> I'm thinking it might be smart to make a jdom-contrib module with write
> access for people involved in contributed projects.  We're already
> planning a jdom-test module to host the testing effort.  Any opinions?

Do you mean a separate set of users/permissions?  Again, why
overcomplicate?  Committers should, by definition, be responsible
enough not to check in code where it doesn't belong.

Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex at jguru.com