[jdom-interest] jdom.jar file naming convention

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Jun 23 11:37:57 PDT 2000

>Not everyone has write privs in that dir, or runs a JRE that looks there
>(such as a servlet runner JRE).  What benefit do you get from the
>version in there?  Are you archiving all the old stuff?  :-)

Informally, yes. I've got about 4 or 5 different versions of JDOM on
my hard drive right now. For instance, this has allowed me to keep
straight what's the official release, what's the most current CVS
tree version, and what's just my private experimentally hacked
version. When I talk about JDOM next week I can note which features
have changed that I have to warn my audience about.

It's often useful to be able to play around with multiple versions of
a JAR. For instance, with Xerces this has been a life saver since no
version after 1.0.3 has really worked. Still, it would be a lot
easier if the Xerces JAR archives had version numbers so I could keep
them straight. Right now when I find a Xerces related bug, I have to
unpack a variety of zip archives to try to figure out which ones do
and don't have the problem. I suppose I should just attach the
version numbers myself though.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |