[jdom-interest] Embedding HTML in XML

Richard Waters rwaters at marimba.com
Mon Jun 26 13:41:18 PDT 2000

sorry - i didn't realize i was being as vague as i was.  =(

1. i have a textbox in an html form. users type in some text and submit it
to the servlet. For example:

	This is the procedure text I typed in.

2. i create an element, set that text as the content, and add it to my JDOM
tree:

	element = new Element("procedure");
	element.setContent(request.getParameter("procedure");
	testplan.addChild(element);

3. i save this out to a file using XMLOutputter.output(testplan, savefile)

4. later, this is displayed as html using xalan. basically:
XSLTProcessor.process(savefile, stylesheet, response.getWriter())

now, say i want users to be able to enter some html tags in that text. for
example:

	This is the <i>procedure text</i> I typed in.

i want to <i> tag to be displayed as italics in the html. so what i thought
i would do is parse the above string and create a list with elements like:

	[0] "This is the "
	[1] element = new Element("i");
	    element.setContent("procedure text");
	[2] " I typed in."

then do

	element = new Element("procedure");
	element.setMixedContent(list);
	testplan.addChild(element);

then put something in the stylesheet to interpret the <i> elements. what i
was hoping for is not having to parse the strings of text that people
submit. i.e., some way that i can just set the content of an element to
tags _not_ be interpreted by the stylesheet, but interpreted by the browser
as html, or (2) have the <i> tags interpreted by the stylesheet, but still
not have to parse the string and create a list and use setMixedContent().

i shudder at the size of this message now, but hopefully it's clear what i'm
trying to do?

again, any advice would be greatly appreciated,
rick