[jdom-interest] Re: Subclassing Element vs Element Context

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Mon Nov 6 16:29:00 PST 2000

Right.  I misused the term "fragile".  I think any subclass carries some
extra baggage, but not all subclasses are fragile.

I think the most fragile subclass in this case is the custom SAXBuilder
required to construct the custom Element subclasses.

The most fragile things about subclassing Element itself are the aspects
dealing with serialization, equals, hashCode, and Cloneable.  How
difficult these are depend on the implementation details, such as
whether the extra field is declared to be transient or not, whether
Element declares its own serialization version id, and whether (and how)
Element overrides equals, hashCode and clone.