[jdom-interest] help with newbie question

Alex Colic acolic at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 07:41:25 PST 2000

I am trying to integrate JDOM into one of my projects. I receive a String via a method which I
need to parse and pull data out of. so far I have managed to get the following to work:

        SAXBuilder builder=new SAXBuilder();
        StringBufferInputStream sr=new StringBufferInputStream(getRawDocument());
          Document doc=builder.build(sr);
        catch(JDOMException e){}

I then try to get elements of the document via:

public String[] getElementValue (String strElementName) {
       String[] defaultValue =  {"ERROR", "Element not found"};
       Element root=getXMLDocument().getRootElement();
       List values=root.getChildren(strElementName);

       Iterator i=values.iterator();
       Vector v=new Vector();
       while (i.hasNext() )
        Element e=(Element)i.next();

       String[] out=(String[])(v.toArray(new String[0]));

       return  out;
    }           //getElementValue

I can pass an array of values back as long as the element I am looking for is directly below the
root element. It will not work if that element is anywhere else. I need a means to pass an element
to find and find it anywhere within the document and then pass the values back.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Alex Colic, HBA, B. Ed
PopWare Inc. "Driving down the cost of conversions"
E-Mail: Alex.Colic at pop-ware.com
Tel: 1-905-777-8171 ext. 104
Fax: 1-905-777-0132

Do You Yahoo!?