[jdom-interest] Element Reference from Attribute

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Mon Nov 20 19:17:55 PST 2000

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:06:54PM -0500, Rosen, Alex wrote:
>There is a whole world of uses for XML for which the current JDOM is very
>apt - simply reading, manipulating, and writing XML files, such as
>deployment descriptors and other data files. As we've seen with J2EE
>deployment descriptors, XML will continue to be a more and more popular way
>of storing structured data, and I think we need a dirt-simple API for doing
>this. My question is, for more complicated things, should we complicate the
>basic JDOM API, or should there be some things that just can't be done with

Quite true, as others have also suggested.

It won't meet my needs, though, so even if it is useful in 80% of the
cases in the project I'm on, if it cannot handle, and cannot be
modified to handle, the harder 20%, then it won't be used at all.  A
simple matter of maintenance; we want one API.

Now, in the past week or two, there's been a move toward making the
core remain simple, but also making it easy to subclass.  In *that*
case, JDOM could end up in complex projects, handling the easy (with
core) and the hard (with specialized subclasses).  I'd hope to see
things move this way.

Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes.