Antw: [jdom-interest] DTD problem

Judith Andres J.Andres at
Mon Nov 20 23:10:12 PST 2000

you forgot to specify the parent and the title element in your dtd.
And you have to give an attribute list of the folder element.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!ELEMENT skyscout (folder+)>
<!ELEMENT folder  (parent, title)>
<!ATTLIST folder
<!ELEMENT title (#PCDATA)>

Instead of <!ELEMENT parent EMPTY> you could, of course, use
<!ELEMENT parent (#PCDATA)>

>>> "Cagan Senturk" <cagan at> 21.11.2000  00.15 Uhr >>>
I am having a weird problem reading in a very simple xml file with a very
basic dtd using a SAXBuilder (validation on, default Xerces parser).

The error message I get is the following:

org.jdom.JDOMException: Document root element "skyscout", must match DOCTYPE
root "skyscout".: Error on line 3 of document
http://localhost:7700/test.xml: Document root element "skyscout", must match
DOCTYPE root "skyscout".

It's being generated by (line 310).

When I use the DOMBuilder, there are no problems.

Here is the content of the test.xml file:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

<!DOCTYPE skyscout SYSTEM "http://localhost:7700/test.dtd">

<folder id="MySkyScout">

<title>My SkyScout</title>