[jdom-interest] Re: jdom-interest digest, Vol 1 #297 - 12 msgs

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Wed Oct 18 15:05:14 PDT 2000

Alex,

I think your proposed simplification of XMLOutputter is a good thing.  I
would even go so far as to remove the (XMLOutputter) constructor.

In other words:

  +1 the () but
  -1 the (XMLOutputter)
  +1 the (pretty)

Concerning the (XMLOutputter) constructor and the equivalent clone()
form, I don't understand why these would ever be very useful.  Can't
XMLOutputter simply be reused?  Or is XMLOutputter maintaining state?

If it's maintaining state, why not provide a reset() method?

Also, what exactly does 'pretty' do?  I'm especially interested in
knowing exactly what whitespace is added/removed to/from element
content.  What happens to whitespace outside element content is less
important, but I'd also like to see this defined.

Since all whitespace in element content is potentially significant, I
suggest providing separate options for the whitepace and other "detail"
lying outside the element content. For example: provide a separate
option for the newline(s) after the XML header and the newline at the
end of the document.  Also, how about an option controlling the
'standalone' setting in the XML header?

Finally, does the option that lets the user set the indent character
carry it's weight?  Would it be simpler and just as useful to have a
single int-type property setting for the indent level instead?

--
Joe Bowbeer