[jdom-interest] Re: Fast or Safe?

Simon Harris Haruki_Zaemon at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:56:55 PDT 2000

Why not have our cake and eat it too. If all you want is simple element and
attribute stuff, use new Element("foo"), new Attribute("bar") etc. And if
you want more flexibility use a factory. IMHO both these aims can be
achieved with very little effort by simply adding a factory that the build
and outputter use. if no factory is specified on construction, use the
DefaultFactory which just creates the existing Element and Attributes, etc
as I could do myself.

I have in a previous post suggest added interfaces into the equation but
there is no necessity to do so. If we force everyone to extend the existing
Element class (as an example) then we need no interfaces. I could build my
own factory that extends DefaultFactory and return my own class that extends
Element.

This solution DOESN'NT break ANY existing code AND allows me to add my own
sub-classes of Element, Attribute, whatever and have JDOM work with these as
natively as the existing classes.

Simon.