[jdom-interest] ID and IDREF

Anthony Baker metatype at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 17:25:34 PDT 2000

> Message: 17
> Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:07:25 -0500
> From: "Brett McLaughlin"
> <brett.mclaughlin at lutris.com>
> To: veerpal at hotbot.com
> CC: jdom-interest at jdom.org
> Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] ID and IDREF
>

> veerpal singh wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I was just looking around on net for ID and IDREF
> processing. Is it possible thru jdom that when idref
> is encountered, element having iD can be retrieved.
> Or has to be done by higher level appl.
>
> What do you need to be able to do, and what would
> you expect the API to
> look like? Finally, what's your use-case for these
> changes.

The thing I would want to do is exchange an IDREF for
an element ref.  The api could look like:

myElement.getAttribute("otherElement").getElement();

In case the "otherElement" attribute isn't an IDREF,
it would be an error.  The use-case here is for
metadata types of information, where parts of
documents refer to other parts.  I'm not sure whether
to use the XML mechanism or application-level
interpretation (like the ejb spec uses names within
the deployment descriptors).

Thanks,
Anthony

http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com