[jdom-interest] JDOM namespace bug?

Cole, Brian bcole at nsf.gov
Wed Apr 11 15:06:54 PDT 2001

I guess I've been mincing my words, sorry. I should have
wrote "not in any namespace" most or all of the times I
wrote "in the default namespace".

The reason I slipped up is that most XML utilities seem
to take all the tags that don't belong to any namespace
and put them into a default (but not _the_ default) name-
space. (Though there seems not to be a consesus on
this. See
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jan-2000/0140.html )
I was using "default" in this sense. I'll try not to from now on.

Anyway, back to the problem I'm having:
  Tags with the "ej" prefix are not in any namespace,
while tags with no prefix are in the XHTML namespace.
(So XHTML == the default namepspace.)

Here's a sample XML instance file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ej:baz xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ej=""
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
</ej:foo>
</ej:baz>

  A call to elt.getNamespace().getPrefix() returns the
empty String on both <ej:foo/> and <b/>. I expected
it to return "ej" when called on <ej:foo/>. Please see
my previous post for more detail.

-brian