[jdom-interest] XSD->XML

Warner Onstine warner at warneronstine.com
Thu Apr 12 08:26:35 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoichi Takayama" <yoichi at webmcq.com>
To: <jdom-interest at jdom.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 11:47 PM
Subject: [jdom-interest] XSD->XML

> Dear Warner,

Hi Yoichi, as you'll find out I'm not the only one on the list, and
certainly not the most experienced one ;-).

> I am still very new to XML.

Same here ;-).

> I would like to be able to dynamically add/delete XML element from my JDOM
> tree.  Of course, this has to be done under the constraints imposed by the
> schema file.
>
> I would like to be able to represent the current structure and values held
> by an XML JDOM in a GUI and to see what elements/attributes I can add or
> delete, and I want the XML Element/Attribute objects to do the field type
> check and value range check automatically for me and so on.

These are the same requirements I am looking for.

> Can we implement <sequence> <complexType> <restriction> <enumeration> etc.
> Java Classes and extends JDOM Element class to achieve this???  So, it is
> sort of XML/XSD JDOM, in which each element knows its options/restrictions
> set in the underlying XSD file.  Elements yet to be created in the XML
tree
> must have some places to stay in the tree in this case, or they should be
> read from the schema file as they are needed.

This sounds similar to data-binding, but I'm not sure. Have you looked at
Castor (castor.exolab.org), or the jdom binding one (for the life of me I
can't find it). This is actually the direction that I am starting to head
in.

> I could have the schema JDOM tree as a shadow tree (template of the XML
> tree?) for the "front" XML tree (instance of the schema?) to do the check
> on the fly.  In that case, there is no need to extend the JDOM Element
> classes, but then how should we implement the interaction between the
> two?  Is there a good programming or object model for this?

I can't think of one, but I'm not that familiar with patterns, anyone?

> I tried IBM's facility to auto-generate Java Classes representing XML from
> DTD or Schema, but it has no value constraints built into these
> classes.  Also, at present, the facility is all hard-coded in terms of the
> DOM tree by using these "IBMXMLElement" Classes, and there is no transfer
> of information about what class(es) can be added/deleted.  The last two
> points can be done by writing up my own code to use these IBMXMLElement
> classes, but the point here is how to automate such a task.

This is definitely data-binding, Castor has the source-generator function
that want to check out, is there something similar for jdom?

-warner

t.com