[jdom-interest] Helper methods [eg]

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Thu Apr 19 07:05:34 PDT 2001

Elliotte, I think you missed the same thing I did on my first read.  He is
not suggesting that these helpers should go in the core.  As you have
suggested many times before, Alex is looking at starting an org.jdom.helpers
or org.jdom.util.  I think it's a good idea and if my memory serves correct,
so do you :-)

Actually, my first thought is to use the jdom-contrib mechanism to get this
started.  Once there with enough support, we can decide which things are
distributed in the helper/util package at a later time.

Here are some other things I think could go there (off the top o' my head):

- TreeWalker with a visitor or command type extension feature
- decorators for Element, Attribute and Document (I can generate a base
decorator)
- proof of concept subclass project as a demonstration of the subclass
implementation. (a listener enabled version would interest lots of people).

I am also very interested in finding out if there is anything in JDOM that
would be incompatible or inconvienient with digital signatures.  It seems to
me that Web Services will bring xml into the mainstream programming world,
hitting that HUGE number of microsoft oriented programmers.  This won't
happen overnight, but it appears that this could be a killer use of JDOM, a
more data oriented api on xml.  Web services will almost certainly use
digital signatures at some point.  A proof of concept project for this seems
to be a really good idea.

uraddr at yourhost.com