[jdom-interest] detach() [eg]

Kenworthy, Edward edward.kenworthy at exchange.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 23:29:21 PDT 2001

Hi Joseph

You're over-complicating it, no doubt because making it appear complex
bolsters your argument.

There's an axiom which reads make things as simple as possible and then
stop. Being over-complex is bad, but so is being over-simplified.

If the document has a null root then it IS in an illegal state for many
methods. The standard way for an object in Java to show it is in an illegal
state is for it to throw an IllegalStateException. Sorry if you don't like
it but hey you're too late, you should have worked for Sun ;-).

The only real options are either prevent Document ever going into an illegal
state (as per Elliotte's suggestion) or having the Document behave as it
should and throw an IllegalStateException (my suggestion). If you want to
test for the presence of a root method then I think hasRoot() would work
fine, I could also live with getRootElement() returning null.

So what's the problem ?

Edward