[jdom-interest] detach() [eg]

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc.ca
Mon Apr 30 16:27:46 PDT 2001

On 30 April 2001 16:19, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> On 30 April 2001 07:07, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> > I really see no need for detach() anymore. I think that
> > parent.removeContent(child) is all that's necessary; and detach() as
> > currently written is just plain confusing. If we absolutely must have
> > that bit of syntax sugar, then the name should be changed to a verb
> > that does commonly operate on it's subject, like element.breakAway()
> > or some such; but I really don't think we need it.
> The arguments in favour of detach appear to mainly be that it hides about
> 10-15 lines of case-checking code. It has been proposed that some utility
> methods would be useful, probably as static methods in a Util class:
> class JDOMUtil {
>    public static void move(Element movable, Element newParent) { }
> }

I should have clarified that I am agreeing with Elliote here: the move op
can be accomplished with the public API of Element without detach, so
the above move() method can be coded using getParent(), removeContent(),
isRootElement(), etc quite easily.

Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council