[jdom-interest] Strange ClassCastException when running beta7 under ant

Matthew Cooper matty at cloverworxs.com
Sun Aug 12 19:48:45 PDT 2001

I was happily running junit tests under ant with the previous jdom version
(before beta 7). When I upgraded to  beta 7 i get this root cause exception.

    [junit] Root cause: java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser    [junit]     at
org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.createParser(SAXBuilder.java:392)
    [junit]     at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:283)
    [junit]     at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:650)
    [junit]     at
com.cloverworxs.io.XMLHandler.xmlToElements(XMLHandler.java:172)
    [junit]     at
com.cloverworxs.io.TestXMLHandler.testToXMLValue(TestXMLHandler.java:111)
    [junit]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestCase.runTest(TestCase.java:156)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:130)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:106)
    [junit]     at
junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:124)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:109)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:121)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:157)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:152)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:209)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeInVM(JUnitTask.java:409)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:283)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:263)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:153)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.runTarget(Project.java:898)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:536)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:510)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:421)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java:149)
    [junit]

If I run the junit test outside of ant it runs fine. I have currently
reverted to the previous jdom version so that I can carry on.

The line causing the problem is casting to an XMLHandler, which
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser is (whichever version of jdom I am
running of course).

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Thanks, Matty.