[jdom-interest] Re: Build Question (or wishesAreHorses)

Brett McLaughlin brett at newInstance.com
Tue Aug 14 07:37:15 PDT 2001

> > Okay, then...your opinion, meistro.  Am I doing well to go
> > through your examples using Xerces, Xalan and Cocoon rather
> > than JDOM, or are they mutually exclusive/compatible?  I
> > apologize for newbie queries, a priori, for my ignorance, as
> > this is my first serious foray into Java XML.  I have been
> > lurking about JDOM-interest, but little of what is discussed
> > is registering yet.
>
> IMHO
>
> Xerces - probably not but it depends on what you want to do and how deep
you
> want to get into it all.

You have to have an XL parser, and for open source you are (nore or less)
down to two for much support - Xerces and Crimson. I use Xerces for
everything, because even though there are some things I don't like about it,
it's the most used in this realm, so lots of people know what's up when
something goes wrong.

> Xalan - Certainly though I really have found the use cases for xsl less
than
> I ever guessed

Agreed.

> Cocoon - probably not though my opinion is related to my thoughts on xsl.
> Also, Cocoon is undergoing a rewrite which will hopefully make it better

Also agreed... Cocoon version 1.x is really not suitable for enterprise
applications, but more for web publishing. Verdict is still out on version
2, which is in beta.

JDOM requires an XML parser, so to use JDOM you will need Xerces, Crimson,
or something. So you need a parser for JDOM work. But, you do not need Xalan
or Cocoon, and they are really orthogonal (different applications) to JDOM
anyway.

BTW, Philip has good comments. Listen to him ;-)

Thanks
---
Brett McLaughlin
Enhydra Strategist:   http://www.enhydra.org