[jdom-interest] reading web.xml

Alex Colic alex.colic at pop-ware.com
Wed Aug 15 09:34:05 PDT 2001

Hi,

I hope someone call help with reading the web.xml file of a web app. I want
to create a nice web page for the user to edit these values.

I am getting an error parsing the file. In the parse method creating the
document failed.
My code is as follows:

In my servlet:

  String webConfig="/WEB-INF/web.xml";
  ServletContext context = servlet.getServletContext();
  InputStream input = context.getResourceAsStream(webConfig);
  if (input == null)
      throw new UnavailableException("web.xml file cannot be found");
  try
    {
      pwXMLUtility util=new pwXMLUtility(input);//my rapper class
    }
  catch(Exception e){}

In my wrapper class:
public pwXMLUtility(InputStream in) throws rdXMLException,  IOException
    {
      DataInputStream reader=new DataInputStream(in);
      StringBuffer buf=new StringBuffer();
      String strCurrentLine;
      while(true)
        {
          strCurrentLine=reader.readLine();
          if(strCurrentLine==null) break;
          buf.append(strCurrentLine);
        }
      strDocument=buf.toString();
      parseDoc();

    }

public void parseDoc () throws rdXMLException {

        SAXBuilder builder=new SAXBuilder(false);

        try
          {
              Document doc=builder.build(new
StringReader(getRawDocument()));
              setXMLDocument(doc);
          }
        catch(Exception e)
          {
            System.out.println("pwXMLUtility: exception " + e.getMessage());
            throw new rdXMLException(" Could not build xml document");
          }
    }           //parseDoc

}

Being new to XML any help, guidance, code corrections etc. is highly
appreciated.

Regards

Alex