[jdom-interest] TODO.TXT: jdom.jar main method and class

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Thu Feb 15 20:27:31 PST 2001

steven.gould at cgiusa.com wrote:

> All,
>
> I've been looking through some of the things in the TODO.TXT file, and
> had some questions about this item:
>

> * Look at putting XML files in the jdom.jar META-INF directory for
> things like version, credits, description, etc, then access/print the
> info using JDOM classes executed by a "java -jar jdom.jar" command.  See
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/
>
> <<<
>
> I've created a META-INF directory and a MANIFEST.MF file for it and got
> it "compiled" into the jdom.jar as intended. Using the java -jar
> jdom.jar command, we would need to specify a main routine to run - which
> could display the version information, etc. Does anyone (esp. Jason or
> Brett) have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. as to what class the
> main method should be in?

Good question, Steven.  Glad to see the TODO is being put to good use.

I would propose main() go in a Main class in the default (".") package.
That gives us the functionality we want without altering the public API
of anything under org.jdom.  We also don't have to compile the Main
class unless we're building the JAR.