[jdom-interest] building a large xml file

Matthew MacKenzie matt at xmlglobal.com
Thu Feb 22 08:04:34 PST 2001

Mirko,

Two Options:

1. Use StringBuffers and build the xml yourself as you process the lines,
or
2. Build a org.jdom.Element for each line and output it when processing
that line is
   complete using org.jdom.outputter.XMLOutputter.

I advocate (2) because you are less likely to generate bad XML. Here is
some
code which is probably not correct which show an example:

private static final String DELIMITER = ",";
private static final String FILE_NAME = "data.txt";

HashMap fMap = new HashMap();
fMap.put(new Integer(0), "TagNameForField0");
fMap.put(new Integer(1), "TagNameForFiels1");
// ... to 100 or whatever.

BufferedReader dRead = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(FILE_NAME));
String ln;
XMLOutputter outputter = new XMLOutputter("\t", true);

System.out.println("<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n<RootElement>");

while ((ln = dRead.readLine()) != null) {
	StringTokenizer toker = new StringTokenizer(ln, DELIMITER);
	int fieldNum = 0;
	Element thisEl = new Element("Row");
	while (toker.hasMoreElements()) {
		Element kid = new Element(fMap.get(new Integer(fieldNum)));
		kid.setText((String)toker.nextElement());
		thisEl.addContent(kid);
		outputter.output(thisEl, System.out);
		fieldNum++;

System.out.println("</RootElement>");