[jdom-interest] XMLSerializable, XMLOutputStream, XMLInputStream

Dominik Hasek DHasek1 at excite.com
Wed Jan 3 02:13:35 PST 2001

Hi,

You idea to serialize java object in xml is great, cause xml means something
at least.

moreover, i don't think it would be useful to jdom, cause jdom is
exclusively designed to construct and manipulate XML valid docs in memory,
and not to serialize any object in xml. I don't think it is the fist jdom
goal. I may be wrong.

I'm not sure but i think sun microsystems has already this idea to make
object serialization in xml. I may be smoking...
i should take a break.

Take care Happy new year...

- DH -

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:06:47 -0500, Grosjean, Jesse wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  JDOM is great!
>
>  I use it as a quick way to create file formats for simple java programs
that
>  I make; much like one would use java serialization except XML is easier
>  read and not so fragile. My general pattern of use is I add two methods
>  each of my java objects
>
>  writeObject(org.jdom.Element e);
>  	readObject(org.jdom.Element e);
>
>  And the objects either write themselves into the Element or reconstruct
>  themselves from the Element depending upon the case. This has worked
great
>  for me, but I'm starting to look for a solution that's more consistent
with
>  java Serialization and that automates some things like naming elements,
>  adding children, mapping classes to element names and such.
>
>  I have created a quick hack solution (as a zip attachment), but before I
>  describe that I'll list my questions.
>
>  1. Is there something else that already does this?
>  2. If not then is it useful to have something that does this?
>  3. If so then would it be a useful extension/add-on to JDOM?
>  4. And finally I would love to hear thoughts and ideas on how I could do
>  this in the best possible way.
>
>  Here is a quick description of what I have done.
>
>  Goal:
>
>  Create a set of classes so that we can write and read java objects from
XML