[jdom-interest] DOMBuilder vs PipedStreams

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Mon Jan 15 09:55:05 PST 2001

> what I was really asking, I guess, is whether there is a
> performance benefit from
> using a DOMBuilder implementation that is substantial enough to
> justify limiting choice of parsers to those vendors who have
> provided adapters and/or DOMBuilders.
>
> --Frank

The adapter model works with *any* parser.  Unlike JAXP that requires
support from a parser, our adapter model just requires there exist a
class that "adapts" our standard DOM methods into the parser-specific
methods.  If an adapter doesn't exist for parser Foo you can write one
in 15 minutes.  Notice all adapters were written by us.  It's a great
model.  I wish JAXP would have used it actually.  We even used
reflection to make the calls so you could compile all adapters without
having the actual parser classes present on the system.  Slick.