[jdom-interest] Possible BUG in XercesErrHandler class

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Mon Jan 22 16:44:11 PST 2001

Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> Actually, I think it is best as it is. For novices, they can just trap one,
> API-neutral exception (IOException). For folks like you who want more, you
> can set your own error handler, giving you as much control as needed. Do you
> disagree?
>
> -Brett

But DOMBuilder doesn't have an option to set your own error handler.  We
could expose that, but that's terribly ugly because it's not guaranteed
you can set a SAX error handler on a DOM parser.  Since building from
streams isn't recommended, we should choose a default and stick to it.
Now which default?

Govy wrote:
> Thanks for the quick update. However, the SAXBuilder uses
> org.jdom.input.SAXHandler which has the same behaviour. The exceptions are
> being rethrown in both error & Warning methods. Do you think these methods
> could be changed to no op?

For SAXBuilder if you don't like the behavior your can set your own
error handler.  We expose all problems by default, but you can override
that easily.