[jdom-interest] XML file formatting using XMLOutputter

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Fri Jan 26 13:27:45 PST 2001

You point out a known problem, and one I've commented on before.  It all
stems from XML's spec requirement that whitespace be preserved.  Right
now you can set a flag on the outputter to trim whitespace on text and
that results in nicely formatted docs (so long as surrounding whitespace
is irrelevant).  I agree it'd be nice to strip whitespace on input to
save memory for those times whitespace is irrelevant.  If you read
TODO.txt you'll see that's on the list.  If you want to help with the
impl to speed it along, you're welcome to.  TODO describes alternate
approaches.

-jh-