[jdom-interest] PipedInput + PipedOutput

antony at n-space.com.au antony at n-space.com.au
Tue Jan 30 16:14:10 PST 2001

I've noticed quite a few posts talking about using
PipedInput{Stream,Reader} and PipedOutput{Stream,Writer} to convert
between push/pull I/O models. Yet in all the posts I've seen I get the
impression that it's being done in a single thread, which is unsafe
because the spec makes no guarantee of buffer size.

So my question is: are people actually doing this in seperate threads
and decoupling?

BTW: JDOM is fantastic - as close to 'intuitive' for a Java coder as
anything I've seen. We are deploying commercial systems (upgraded to
snapshot 2000-01-24) and I've not yet had any problems.

---  Antony Blakey     mailto:antony at n-space.com.au  ---
---  N-Space Pty Ltd   http://www.n-space.com.au     ---
---  Sydney: 02 9212 6445  Adelaide: 08 8359 2470    ---

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One
way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies, and the  other way is to make it so
complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The
first method is far more difficult.
   - C.A.R. Hoare