[jdom-interest] maximum String length?

Bart Read bart at wdi.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:04:00 PDT 2001

As far as I'm aware Java does not set limitations on the maximum size of any
object as long as their is enough free memory.  The only time you might have
problems in this regard is if you try to return your large String as the
result of a remote method invocation -- it'll probably complain that it's
unexpectedly reached the end of the stream (this might affect parameters
used in RMI calls as well, I don't know).  If you do encounter problems with
this (OutOfMemoryError) you might want to try playing with Java's
non-standard runtime options; something like this:

java -Xmx128M <your-class-name-here>

which increases the maximum heap space available to your application to 128M
(put whatever value you want here, the default is around 85M as far as I can
tell).

Hope this helps,

Bart Read
Senior Developer