[jdom-interest] XMLOutputter modifications

Lars Hoss woeye at web.de
Thu Jul 19 06:52:29 PDT 2001

Hi all!

Currently we are working on a project that uses jdom beta7 and
we are very happy with with tool because it speeds up
several tasks in our product enormously :-)
Unfortunaly it seems that XMLOutputter is adding to many newlines
in the output. For example if I have a well formatted XML document
and parse it with DOMBuilder, the output of XMLOutputter
will contain more newlines than the original XML document before.

After having a deeper look at the sourcecode I modified it
in the following way:

* lines 1191-1192 from

    else if (justOutput != CDATA.class &&
      justOutput != String.class) {

    else if (justOutput != CDATA.class &&
      justOutput != String.class && justOutput != null && justOutput != Element.class) {

* lines 1196-1199 from

    printString(scontent, out);
    endedWithWhite = endsWithWhite(scontent);
    justOutput = String.class;
    wasFullyWhite = (scontent.trim().length() == 0);

    if(!((scontent.length() == 1) && ("\r\n".indexOf(scontent.charAt(0)) != -1)))
    {
       printString(scontent, out);
       endedWithWhite = endsWithWhite(scontent);
       justOutput = String.class;
       wasFullyWhite = (scontent.trim().length() == 0);
    }

Afterwards it worked fine for many. All options such as
setTextNormalize(boolean), setNewlines(boolean) and so on
worked as I expected.

What do you think?

Yours,
Lars