[jdom-interest] prefixes in attribute values or element conte nt(was the hashcode thread)

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Sat Jun 2 16:07:02 PDT 2001

> NO! I don't believe such cases exist. There is always a context!  I'm
> not familiar with WSDL but let's look at the other two. I'll show you
> exactly what the context is and what URI it assigns:

I think we agree on this.

> >	<some-xsl-element xmlns:foo="http://foo.org/">
> >		<value-of select="foo/bar/foo:baz"/>
> >	</some-xsl-element>
> >
> In this case the value-of element is inside the some-xsl-element. It
> is in the control of the context of that element. The foo prefix is
> mapped to the URI http://foo.org/

You are correct if you say I don't understand XSLT very well, but this
example (from Bob M.) and your response agree with what I think to be true
here and in WSDL.  The *application* has a defined context to decode the
prefix to a uri.

> >XML Schema
> >	<anElement type="xsd:float" />
> The context is provided by the root element. It bhinds the prefix xsd
> to the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema.

Same in WSDL.  The namespaces are declared with prefixes in the definitions
> There is no such thing as a namespace prefix out of context in a
> namespace well-formed XML document. We long ago decided that
> non-namespace well-formed documents were out of scope for JDOM.

Ah, but an attribute value?  Would that make it non namespace compliant?
Not from the point of view of the parser, only to the application using the

> We do need some straight-forward way of getting the URL assigned to a
> namespace prefix, but such a question can only be answered in the
> context of a particular element.

All true.  I think the only disagreement then may be if an application has a
right to specify which element that is.  In your counter to my first WSDL
example, you wanted to be able to redefine a prefix/uri mapping in the
element where the attribute value occured.