[jdom-interest] Crimson + JDOM question

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Mon Jun 25 06:11:34 PDT 2001

> Dumb question but isn't Crimson a SAX2 parser?  I tried using it with
> SAXBuilder and tried using
> org.apache.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserImpl (?) and
> it threw an error.  Anyways what are the other alternatives to Xerces?

I use it often.  One gotcha is that depending on what you have in your
classpath at any given time, SAXParserImpl may actually point to different
parsers.  Use the -D option to point to the parser want if you need to be
sure.  ex:

java
-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserFactor
yImpl
java
-Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.crimson.jaxp.DocumentB
uilderFactoryImpl

While I do like the shared parser interface that JAXP gives us, the
selection mechanism seems is not at all obvious and downright troublesome if
you actually need to use many different parsers for different reasons IMHO.