[jdom-interest] document encoding

Ken Rune Helland kenh at csc.no
Thu Jun 28 01:59:24 PDT 2001

At 01:57 PM 6/27/2001 -0700, Jason Hunter wrote:
> > Is it possible for SAXBuilder to store the encoding type inside the built
> > Document, so that XMLOutputter will use the same encoding when outputting?
> >  - or -
> > Is there any other way to "remember" the input encoding and use it for
> > output?
>SAX doesn't report the encoding, unfortunately.

The encoding, if it is declared, is in the very beginning of
the xml file, it shoud not be much work to pick it out.

Maybe a FilterStream/FilterReader subclass that locks for
the <?xml ... ?> line and remebers the encoding declared.

This way people that worry about the encoding can wrap their
incomming xml in this "EncodingFinderStream" before
handing it to the SAXBuilder.

Woud cost a little bit of cpu performance to do this
since all reads will have an extra fuction call.

I woud asume the stream woud be used for a single
XML-file only since SAXBuilder looks for the EOF.

If I have time I'll write one and contrib it, unless someone
commes up with a reason it is a very bad idea.