[jdom-interest] SAXBuilder issues - class cast exception

Alec Hothan ahothan at cisco.com
Thu Jun 28 10:53:22 PDT 2001

Krishnan,

This problem may be related to how AntClassLoader is implemented. If it was
implemented to behave as a normal class loader you would not have this class cast
exception because it would have used the XMLReader class loaded by the JDK class
loader (also called the Primordial Class Loader): when a ("normal") class loader sees
that a class is not loaded locally, it forward the request to the parent class loader
first, then tries to load it from its class path only after the parent class loader
fails to find/load a class of the same name.
I suspect the AntClassLoader behaves differently, it must load the class locally
before forwarding the request to its parent class loader (sometimes it is useful to
do it this way but this is very tricky to debug). Maybe it is a config parameter of
the Ant tool ?
What you could try is to remove xerces.jar from your AntClassLoader class path and
run it from there. That way your AntClassLoader will have no way to load the class
locally (since it is not in its class path) and will be forced to forward the request
to its parent class (and you'll get the XMLReader class loaded by the PCL).

Hope this helps

    Alec