[jdom-interest] RE: Reference comparisons in SAXHandler.startElement

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Thu Mar 15 01:26:33 PST 2001

> I lost track of what this discussion is about.  :-)
>
> Is it about trying to squeeze some performance out of
> SAXHandler.startElement by changing a few .equals to == ?

It's about making sure that we behave correctly on handling SAX events,
which we can do by either going to .equals(), by having the parser
intern and then ==, or by us calling .intern() and then ==.  I like the
latter for the general memory advantage, and I predict it's probably
similar performance.  We want to check performance to be sure.  This is
in a tight loop so we want to do no big slow downs.