[jdom-interest] Smaller - Applets and JDOM

Walker Joe joe.walker at barclaycard.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 08:20:54 PST 2001

You might want to have a look on alphaWorks at JAX, which does the
compression that you are looking for automagically and also kills
stuff like unused methods etc.

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/frame?ReadForm&/aw.nsf/techmain/C43E00E
9A8C0FBB58825671B0065F168

"Removal of dead methods and fields
Detection of live overridden methods
Removal of unused classes and interfaces
Inlining of methods
Removal of non-essential attributes
Shortening of internal method names and field names
Removal of non-used entries in the constant pool "

Joe.

Kevin wrote:
> All-
>
> For anyone using JDOM in an applet, what is the smallest that you have
> been
> able to get the JDOM and Parser download to be? Xerces is way to big at
> 1.4MB.
>
> Crimson seems to be the smallest parser to use, with JAXP it weighs in at
> about 210K, plus 65K for JDOM is about 275K. My applet is currently only
> about 65K, so I don't really want to quintuple the size.
>
> Can you get smaller than 275K?
>
> -Kevin Baynes

> http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourh
> ost.com

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.