[jdom-interest] Smaller - Applets and JDOM

Walker Joe joe.walker at barclaycard.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 08:20:54 PST 2001

You might want to have a look on alphaWorks at JAX, which does the
compression that you are looking for automagically and also kills
stuff like unused methods etc.

"Removal of dead methods and fields
Detection of live overridden methods
Removal of unused classes and interfaces
Inlining of methods
Removal of non-essential attributes
Shortening of internal method names and field names
Removal of non-used entries in the constant pool "

Kevin wrote:
> All-
> For anyone using JDOM in an applet, what is the smallest that you have
> been
> able to get the JDOM and Parser download to be? Xerces is way to big at
> 1.4MB.
> Crimson seems to be the smallest parser to use, with JAXP it weighs in at
> about 210K, plus 65K for JDOM is about 275K. My applet is currently only
> about 65K, so I don't really want to quintuple the size.
> Can you get smaller than 275K?
> -Kevin Baynes
> http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourh
> ost.com

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.