[jdom-interest] Thoughts on...

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Fri Mar 16 13:31:41 PST 2001

philip.nelson at omniresources.com wrote:

> I think that the intent of the authors was not to create "a Java
> representation of any document, not just XML".  It was to create and XML
> object library for java.  Hopefully my heavily paraphased and personal
> interpretation of these things is accurate.

Phil, you are an amazing JDOM historian.  :-)

The original intent was to create a representation for XML.  We pondered
for a while whether the representation could be generalized, but
realized that to create a general representation of "data" sacrifices
the specific representation of "XML data".  We now have a model where
JDOM models XML specifically, but that XML may come from any source
(such as a database) and may be sent to any sink (such as a JTree).
Content written during the ponder phase (our original slides and Brett's
book) still talk about JDOM being highly general.

> But for release 1.0, there is enough to do :-)

Very true.