[jdom-interest] Another Element.setName request

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Mar 24 12:53:46 PST 2001

At 12:54 PM -0600 3/20/01, philip.nelson at omniresources.com wrote:
>>  An XML editor.  Lots of renaming and such.

XML editors are very special cases that really require their own
parsers and APIs. The standard APIs and parsers (including not only
JDOM but also SAX and DOM) are clearly inadequate for writing a good,
general purpose XML editor. And there are a lot more problems than
just calling rename() on Element. For instance, most parsers throw
away a lot of white space and formatting. I think editors are a
use-case that is about 19% past the 80% of XML problems JDOM is
trying to solve.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |