[jdom-interest] Some thoughts on namespaces

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Mar 31 12:07:09 PST 2001

I've been looking over the namespace discussion and the code in
Namespace.java, and that's jogged my memory about some design
decisions we made almost a year ago. Initially JDOM had almost no
namespace support. Now it has pretty much complete namespace support.
Some of the decision that were made in the early days of moving from
no or very limited namespace support to today may need to be
revisited. Specifically,

1. We decided to use the flyweight pattern for namespaces to avoid
adding an extra two strings to every element with a namespace. The
namespaces were stored in a Hashtable.

2. This is why the equals() method determines equality based on
URI+prefix, because otherwise the Hashmap won't work.

3. Namespace.NO_NAMESPACE was thrown into the pot as a convenience.
It was never really necessary, but doesn't really hurt anybody
either. It is consistent with the terminology of the namespaces
specification. And it gives us the simplifying case of every Element
and Attribute having a non-null associated namespace object.

I still want to make namespace equality depend only on URI, so I
propose two possible solutions:

1. We forget about flyweights. Instead, when a URI or prefix is
passed to one of the methods in the Namespace class, we simply call
intern() before storing the string in the relevant fields. This would
save most of the memory we currently save and be a lot simpler. It
would even allow direct construction of Namespace objects instead of
using factory methods with private constructors.

2. If we want to keep the flyweights, we wrap a special
NamespaceReference object, used purely internally in the Namespace
class, and not exposed in the client API, whose equality would depend
on prefix as well as URI. We'd store namespace references in our
Hashmap rather then storing the namespaces directly, but there'd be a
straight-forward 1-1 mapping between NamespaceReference objects and
Namespace objects. This allows us to retain the semantics we want for
equals() (URI only) in the Namespace class).

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |