[jdom-interest] Issues with the EntityRef implementation

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Tue May 1 13:46:08 PDT 2001

Well, first the good news!

As we planned it at the SDWest BOF, I started implementing the EntityRef
class.  The first part is done.  This means that entities are always
expanded and there is no trace of the original entity in the document.  This
works correctly with internal, external entities and dtds and with Xerces
1.2 and JAXP/Crimson.  So far so good.

I added a method to SAXBuilder called setExpandEntities(boolean expand).
This method will allow you to turn off entity expansion (with a false).  In
this case, we tell SAX not to expand entities and instead insert EntityRef
instances in the content where the entity occurred.  This EntityRef is
simple in that is has only the name, publicID, systemID attributes along
with the usual JDOM things like clone, serializable, getParent, getDocument.